To build and use Multistage, you must have the Java 1.8 JDK installed on your system. The modern java installers also define the JAVA_HOME environment variable and install java in the system path. To check to see if you have java installed:
- Open a Windows Command Prompt, and type: 'java -version', at the shell prompt. If you see a message similar to "java version "1.8.0_31", that means you have java installed.
Installation and Configuration:
Follow these steps prior to running Multistage for the first time:
- To specify log directories and other log details, you must modify the 'conf/log4j.properties' file for server-side and 'conf/clientlog.properties' for client side.
- To specify the IP address of the multistage server, you must modify the 'conf/mult-client.properties' file where it says "defaultHost=". (Example: defaultHost = 184.108.40.206).
- To specify where the clients store persistence information for reauthentication, you must modify the 'conf/mult-client.properties' file to set the 'serializePath' parameter value to a directory where the client has permission to write.
Run "server-multistage.bat", or "client-multistage.bat" from the /bin directory in the installed Multistage directory.
A more detailed guide to running multistage can be found in the User Guide.
- "When I run 'client-multistage.bat' there are several log4j errors even though the client seems to work fine after."
Make sure that all log details are configured correctly in the 'conf/clientlog.properties'. (i.e. double check all file paths)
- "When I run 'client-multistage.bat' the login window appears but I cannot edit any or some of the fields."
Most likely testing mode is enabled in the '/conf/mult-client.properties' file.